I have been working hard trying to get this pattern perfected from my sloper. I did a post on this here and used this book to draft a pattern.
Here are a few pics of my fitting stage, these are basted up with my dissolving thread that I can just iron out instead of unpicking!
So initially I wanted the waist band to finish at the waist but look like a low-rise ...in the end it just looks like a normal waist band lol. Not sure how to construct a waist band, I did my best and thought it didn't turn out so bad. I added twill tape to make sure the waist does not stretch. I also interfaced the areas where the button and buttonhole will go for added sturdiness.
I designed these pockets by taking a wax paper impression of pockets from a favorite pair of jeans I have. I blogged about that here.
I made these pockets extend all the way to the center front so that gives them some "tummy tuckin' strength" I used a pretty white swirly print cotton for the pocket lining.
I used a metal zip so it is nice and sturdy to go along with the tummy tuck pockets that will surely keep all my jelly donuts in place. The fly zip went in beautifully and I could not have had an easier time with that thanks to the craftsy course I just completed on pants. Check out that course here.
I wanted to do minimal topstitching so the pants had a semi dressy appearance to them. I used jean topstitching thread and a stitch length of 4.0. completed with doing a blind hem. Again I love to hem them super long so with my everyday shoes they are just barely off the floor. Hoping it gives the illusion of lengthier legs.
Initially during construction I was going to attach the outer legs first and top stitch them in some pretty decorative stitch.....but I chickened out! Wasn't sure if this would look good with a boot cut? Maybe it would have just looked cheesy lol. In the end I did nothing creative and just topstitched the inner leg seam.
I love this button I found for these pants!!
These final pictures I decided to wear these pretty high heel beige sandals and it turns out there is way too much of a heel for the length I made these pants. So after boasting about how nice and long they are .....I'm wearing floods!! My go to pair of comfy shoes do look great with the length of these pants. I should have looked in the mirror first before I got my hubby to snap the photos!
So what do you guys think? Do they look wonky because it is my own pattern or do they look like normal pants?
I must say they are super comfortable and have become my new favorite pants!!!
My next course I started is making your own bodice pattern. Yes it is yet another Craftsy course!! I hope it is as successful as my pant sloper.
I did try to graph out the bodice sloper from the book I have: How to make sewing patterns.
I must have done something wrong though, because the pattern even looked wonky. When I cut out the muslin and tried a pin fitting, well.......lets just say it had me in stitches(I know what a groaner of a joke) hardy har har!! (to embarrassed to even show you a pic) So maybe I will get a more visual idea of what I am doing with this course!
I am in love with the drafting process of making a pattern! I find it as much fun as sewing!! So as I mentioned before if anyone wants to send me measurements for me to construct a pant sloper for you with your exact measurements you can email me at [email protected] and I will let you know what measurements I need. I will do it free of charge of course I am no expert and I just want to practice and get better at doing this. You may fall in love with this book as I have :)